Monday, June 15, 2015

Bill Poe (Dean)

I was reading various stories recently about the Vietnam war and the people who fought in that conflict. When I was growing up in the 1960's the war was on the TV most every night. It was on everyone's mind. My friend Joe served and was severely injured in 1968. Although missing half a leg from those injuries he has rode motorcycles for years. Last year Joe took a long road trip on his motorcycle to encourage and support other disabled Veterans. He is an amazing person. I say all this because it leads to the latest record posted on the blog. In 1967 Bill Poe from Martinsville, Indiana wrote and recorded the song "Twenty Brave Men". The song was released on the Dean record label. It is a powerful and haunting ballad about war.To say the Vietnam War had an impact on the music scene in the 1960's would be an understatement. I hope you enjoy the record.
                                                                           Bill Poe- Twenty Brave Men

4 comments:

  1. I have this 45, I know Bill and knew his brothers. They were long time family friends. Loved this song. One of the best military songs I've heard.thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill is my dad is is 82 years old he was watching a show in tv and the only the guy it was written about was on the show tell in about 21 of them what happen and he was the only one that lived (I think)my dad got up the next morning and wrote the song if anyone knows who this man is I would love to know

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great story. Thank you for sharing. I wish your father well. Please email at artyfactsinwax@hotmail.com. I would love to feature a story about his musical career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jonnie I have just stumbled on the with my son .Bill Poe is my grandpa and is still around I would love to get you two connected .thanks Chris Hillman chrishillmanr67@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete